Monthly Clinical and Research Ethics Seminar
The seminar is held in the new CTRC Building, Room 5019 (side A or B
depending on availability) at noon on
the third Tuesday of every month. Either enter through the main
entrance on Ellicott Street, or cross from BGMC on the first or second
and take the elevator to the 5th floor.
A light lunch is provided.
Upcoming Conference Schedule
Comments or Suggestions to Jack Freer email@example.com
- 9/20/16 David Koepsell JD, PhD, Mexico Comisión Nacional de
Bioética, "The Blockchain and Personal Genomics: tracking rights and
- 10/18/16 Stephen Kershnar, JD, PhD, Fredonia, "People are not
responsible and why this matters for medical ethics"
- 11/15/16 Miriam Shuchman MD, University of Toronto, topic TBA
- 12/20/16 Barry Smith PhD, UB, "Document-Driven Healthcare"
- 1/17/17 Joseph Fins MD, Cornell Univ, topic TBA
- 2/21/17 David Essi, UB, Comparative Effectiveness Research: Case
studies in Germany & the United States
- 3/21/17 Steven Fliesler PhD, UB, "Scientific Misconduct: The Nature
of the Beast"
- 4/18/17 Heather Ochs-Balcom, UB, topic TBA
- 5/16/17 Susan Smith, UB, topic TBA
- 6/20/17 Peter Koch, Baylor, topic TBA
- July NO CONFERENCE
- August NO CONFERENCE
Comments or Suggestions to Jack Freer firstname.lastname@example.org
- 10/17/11. Sean Philpott PhD, Union Graduate Program in Bioethics.
"Gonorrhea, Guatemala and Gung-Ho Researchers: The Scandalous History of
- 11/21/11. NO CONFERENCE
- 12/19/11. Stephen Wear PhD, UB. "Informed Consent."
- 01/16/12. Martin Luther King Day: NO CONFERENCE
- 02/20/12. Katie Grimm MD, UB: "Population Health: Applying an
ethics lens to public health initiatives."
- 03/19/12. Susan Smith PhD, UB: "The Use of Race in Clinical Research
- 04/16/12 Miriam Shuchman MD, University of Toronto: "Doing research
on a vulnerable population: the case of psychotic individuals."
- 05/21/12. Peter Winkelstein, MD, MBA, UB: "Medicine 2.0: Ethical
Challenges of Social Media for the Health Profession."
- 06/18/12. Ana Iltis PhD, Wake Forest: "'Research ethics consultation
in a clinical and translational science setting."
- 07/24/12 SPECIAL SUMMER LECTURE DATE--TUESDAY 7/24: David Doukas MD,
University of Louisville: "Cultivating Humanism in the Clinical
- August SUMMER BREAK
- 09/18/12 Jack Freer MD, UB: "Return of individual research results."
- 10/16/12 Harvey Berman PhD, UB "How Vioxx exposed conflicts of
interest at FDA and The New England Journal."
- 11/20/12 Barry Smith PhD, UB. "Ethics, Informatics and Obamacare."
- 12/18/12 NO CONFERENCE
- 01/15/13 Stephen Wear PhD, UB, "Informed Consent: what should it
- 02/19/13 Steven Fliesler PhD, UB. "Research Misconduct: The Nature
of the Beast."
- 03/19/13 Jim Lavery MSc, PhD, Univ Toronto, "Re-thinking the ethical
foundations of community engagement in research"
- 04/16/13 Dorothy Wright MA, MLS, UB, "Informed Consent: The Role of
Trust and Assurances"
- 05/21/13 Nancy Rourke PhD, Canisius, "Swallowing Sacrament: Dementia
and the Eucharist"
- 06/18/14 Jack Freer MD, UB, "Vulnerability and research at the end
- 08/20/13 D.Alan Shewmon MD, UCLA, "Vegetative State: Clinical and
- 09/17/13 Diane Schwartz MLS, Kaleida, UB, "Evidence Based Medicine &
Critical Appraisal of the Literature; Supporting Ethical Clinical
- 10/15/13 **CANCELED**
- 11/19/13 Stephen Wear, PhD, UB, .Lies to the Sick and Dying
- 12/17/13 Nicoleta Voian, MD, MPH, RPCI, "Ethics and Genetics"
- 01/21/14 Barry Smith, PhD UB, ""Clinical Trial Data Wants To Be
Free: Lessons from the NIAID Immunology Database and Analysis Portal"
- 02/18/13 Harvey Berman PhD, MPH, UB, "Noninvasive Prenatal Testing:
Has the slippery slope become slipperier?"
- 03/18/14 Jason Eberl PhD, Marian University and Indiana University
Center for Bioethics, Richard Gronostajski PhD, UB, Western New York
Stem Cell Culture
and Analysis Center (WNYSTEM), "Societal Issues in Stem Cell Research"
- 04/15/14 Camille Wicher PhD, RN, RPCI,"What Research Reveals about
the African American Perception of Hospice"
- 05/20/14 Jack Freer MD, UB, "The Research-Treatment Distinction.an
- 06/17/14 David Hershenov PhD, UB Philosophy, Rose Hershenov PhD,
Niagara U Philosophy, "Health, Harm and Potential"
- 09/16/14 Laurene Tumiel-Berhalter PhD, UB Family Medicine. "Patient
Voices Network: Ethical considerations in Participatory Research"
- 10/21/14 Miriam Shuchman MD, UB, U Toronto, "Research
Collaborations Between High- and Low-income Countries -- equity,
ethics, and Ebola research"
- 11/18/14 Lisa Lehman MD, PhD, Harvard Medical School, "High Value
Care and the Physician-Patient Relationship"
- 12/16/14 Kim Griswold MD, UB Family Medicine, "Ethical issues in
providing services to refugee and asylum seekers"
- 1/20/15 Nicoleta Voian, MD, MPH, RPCI, "Ethical aspects of genetic
testing for hereditary cancer syndromes"
- 2/17/15 Steven Fliesler PhD, UB Ophthalmology, "Plagiarism: Walking
on the Dark
- 3/17/15 Barry Smith PhD, UB Philosophy, "Ontology of Aging and
- 4/21/15 David Kaye MD, UB Psychiatry, "Ethical Questions in
Pediatric Primary Care/Psychiatry Collaborative Care Programs"
- 5/19/15 James DuBois DSc PhD, Washington Univ St. Louis, "Responding
to Wrongdoing in Research"
- 6/16/15 Stephen Kershnar PhD, Fredonia, "Quantifying
- 10/20/15 Camille Wicher PhD, RN, RPCI,"Incidental Findings in
- 11/17/15 Harvey Berman, PhD, UB Pharmacology, "Scientific Fraud."
- 12/15/15 Timothy Quill MD, Univ of Rochester, "Last Resort Options
for Intractable Suffering: What is possible in New York now and in
- 1/19/16 Nancy Rourke PhD, Canisius, "The Ethics Beyond Ugly
Sweaters: Lying and Advanced Dementia"
- 2/16/16 David Hershenov PhD, UB Philosophy, "Death and Dignity."
- 3/15/16 Phillip Reed PhD, Canisius, "Suicide and Assisted Dying."
- 4/19/16 Jack Freer MD, UB Medicine, ".Decision Making Capacity and
- 5/17/16 Laurene Tumiel-Berhalter PhD, UB Family Medicine,
(co-presented with Sarah Reilly, UB IRB), "Describing the role of
community members in research: Researcher and IRB perspectives."
- 6/21/16 Geert Craenen MD, Buffalo VA, UB Ophthalmology, "The Moral
Agency of Virtual Surgical Simulators."
- 7/19/16 NO CONFERENCE
- 8/16/16 NO CONFERENCE
Return to UB Center for Clinical Ethics Home